Thursday, March 13, 2014

Graphic Novel - Denied One


When I heard we will be making two page graphic novel I was excited. Finally I had a chance to draw what I want to draw in a style I want to draw. 

There was a lingering question which stuck in my mind since 9th grade. What happens to aborted child? In Korea, the rate of abortion is not low. Especially teenager couple without proper sex related education end up having an unwanted baby. When the new life is created, the couple steps into whole new world full of stress. Views from other people including their parents are unfriendly and biased. In some cases the boyfriend would leave his girlfriend after knowing that she is pregnant. The stress they receive is massive so they come to drastic solution.There is a song about teenager couple having an unwanted baby and end up killing themselves. Killing themselves is a bit dramatic result; therefore, most of the times they erase the baby. 

I've always wanted to talk about the issue. I think it is unfair for the newly created life. I had to think of somewhat happy ending for those souls.

In Korean folk story it is believed to have a world after death. At least if they could become a flower and bloom under warm sunshine in the world after death, I think it would be less unfair for them.

Plot
A girl has a baby. Under pressure from her parents and other people around her, and sense of betrayal from her boyfriend whom left her after pregnancy, she chose to erase her baby.
The soul of the baby recognize that its removed from its mother. It changes into unstable red state and flies away to the world of the death.
In the other world, there is a garden full of beautiful various plants. In the garden there are little children who chase after the unstable souls, pacify, and plant the stabilized souls like plant seeds. The soul would later grow into a flower.











I was impressed when I read the comic about making graphic novel that closure is also used in storytelling.
I wanted to use the idea for my graphic novel.
However, since the idea I wanted to convey was too complicated and the time was not enough, I ended up making a graphic novel that, without further explanation, is hard to understand the plot. I feel so bad about the result. Story which is hard to understand is ridiculous. However I am glad that people liked the artwork and layout part to my work.




---
What I learned from McCloud's Comic
1. Closure can also be used in story telling.
2. There are six different variations to distinguish the relationship between two scenes. I have never considered it but it was interesting to know that people can categorize them.
3. Having a square box and letting the scene to 'bleed' could bring significant difference in mood. Each panel is important in a way how people perceive the time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment