Thursday, March 13, 2014

Long vs. short

For this assignment, I had to juxtapose the idea of long and short. So I chose to make recently invented item with medium used since the birth of humankind. 

I was imagining if there is a caveman who had a chance to come to 21st century and sent back to his own time period after few days, what would he try to make from items he saw that were used now. I thought he might want to make something related to computer.

So,
I planned to make a keyboard out of clay(oil clay).




 I thought I should put ancient language instead of English or Korean. So I put cuneiform in my keyboard, since the cuneiform was written in clay plates back then.

Putting cuneiform in the keyboard



Clay Keyboard







Because the medium I am using is absurd, I tried to make the keyboard as realistic as possible. So I made it in 17in*7in size, similar to real keyboards. I sticked some cubics to where little lights come in real ones. Lastly I put some strings to resemble cord for keyboard. 

I was glad I could make the keyboard as I wanted it to be. I have used oil clay before, but the whole making process was an adventure for me. Flattening clay, cutting clay into keyboard button shape, and imprinting alphabets clearly were three major crisis. I was relieved to go through all those tricky parts without big problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment