Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Response after watching Memento

I have heard of the movie Memento since I cannot remember. But I had no chance, or more like a will, to watch the movie. People around me would always say its a good movie, but I am more interested in movies like Pride and Prejudice, therefore I had no will to watch it. However after watching the movie, I regretted myself for not watching it. The way narrative is presented is really smart. This was my first response. The way the plots are divided into pieces and narrated in non-linear time perfectly matches the 'condition' Leonard is in. I don't know how to say it but there are so many smart tricks written by the director in the movie.

At first the movie started with Leonard killing a guy. Then the scene changes into black and white film. Leonard wakes up and reads little notes written by himself. He had a condition of not able to make a new memory since the incident which he remembers as the day when his wife got killed. In order to revenge her wife's death he tries to collect evidences that would lead him the the murderer. Due to his condition he tries to make note of every important informations he receives so that himself in the future could remember what happened to him five minutes ago. He believes in the credibility of those notes to be perfect. Well for a person with such mental state, it would be hard to question about it. Without questioning which situations he is putting himself in, he follows what notes says and end up killing four men. During the process he was misled by Natalie, who abused his situation to revenge on her boyfriend's death. However the most serious trap he was trapped was a trap he made for himself. He abused his own condition to kill Teddy, a police who have been helping him since the incident, for Teddy told him the truth he did not wanted to remember.

All these story lines were interwoven through out the movie, therefore, I felt like I am in similar condition as Leonard. I was confused about the story, and started to forget about the scene at the beginning of the movie. I had to look up for the full plot after watching the movie.
Overall I really liked the movie and I do not regret myself for buying the movie from the iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment