Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Response to the Exit through the Gift Shop

I am a big fan of Impressionism. I love the colors and the tranquil feeling it brings to me. Degas, Monet, and Renoir are my favorites. I also like Alponse Mucha, an artist famous for creating a whole new trend of art. I love illustrations with warm and cozy colors and feelings. I generally like an art piece which gives pleasure at the first sight. There are exceptions though. Tim Burton is one. His creepy but cute drawings are a bit far from what I usually like, but still I am fascinated with his works. The other artist I like is Banksy. 

One day in my Studio class this semester, our professor brought Banksy's art works for our topic. That is when I realized that I like his works but I don't remember why and how I started to like him. After watching the very first five minutes of the Documentary "Exit through the Gift Shop," I remembered of an art class I had when I was a middle school student. The teacher showed us some documentaries about Banksy, and one of them was this Documentary. I was somewhat surprised to learn that I knew about Banksy and also MBW for a long time. 

To be honest, I thought the Documentary was not a fictional Documentary. All the clips recorded by MBW was real. Family video, street art videos, police videos, and even the disney land videos were so real I thought the whole Documentary was real. Though I had this uneasy feeling about Thierry and his more like obsession than passion. I thought this character is very unbelievable. Also the narration and even Banksy showing up though hidden under the hood seemed a bit unbelievable. 

My initial response after watching this documentary again was not that pleasant. I felt like MBW and all the buzz about MBW is a result of thorough brainwash saying that this guy and his work means a lot and is important. I am starting to think that the intention for making this video is to accuse how Mr. Brain Wash was successful in making audience to believe he is great even though his art works are collections of copies and comparatively non-serious pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment